Clan Country

obelisk

This obelisk of local white Millstone Grit is 103ft high and 19ft square at the base.

 It is owned by the Buchanan Society and was erected in 1788 to the memory of the Historian and Scholar George Buchanan (1506 - 1582), who was the tutor to King James V1 of Scotland, who also became James 1 of the United Kingdom and authorised the translation of the Bible into English.

The obelisk dominates the house where he was born, the village of Killearn and all of the Strathendrick - Buchanan Country.

A view of the village of Buchanan, on the Drymen to Balmaha Road (B837) on the East side of Loch Lomond, showing the Smithy and the School. In 1759 the Kirk Session Records show that the village was the home of 503 people in 105 families, the population of the whole Parish being 1117. For seven centuries this village was the centre of Clan activities, where the Chiefs and Clansmen foregathered.

village
Buchanan church

The Church at Buchanan was dedicated, prior to 1474, to Our Lady of the Virgin Mary by a Buchanan Laird and then, till the Reformation, it was the Chapel of St Mary of Buchanan.

The present church was built on the site of the original in 1764.

The Place of Buchanan stood until 1850, when it was burnt down. It stood about a mile South East of the village of Buchanan, which is situated close to the Eastern shore of Loch Lomond in Western Stirlingshire.

mansion
ruins

Buchanan Castle Golf Club contains part of the ancient remains of the Place of Buchanan.

Close by are the ruins of Buchanan Castle, which was built in 1857 by the Duke of Montrose and is thus unconnected to the Buchanan Clan.

Isle of Clairinch

The Isle of Clarinch in Loch Lomond is owned by The Buchanan Society and currently leased to Scottish Natural Heritage

It is in the Lowlands of Scotland but the largest portion of the Parish of Buchanan, which includes Ben Lomond (3192ft, 973m) is in the Highlands.